Application for Grant from the Foundation
Persons may apply at any time for a Foundation grant, but are encouraged to do so as far in advance of the time the grant is needed as possible. There are no pre-conditions to submitting an application, but grants will not be made until all conditions of the community service employment, association or project are in place. The Foundation will act on each application, and advise the applicant of the Foundation’s decision, as promptly as possible. The completed application should be emailed to Eugene D. Cohen at email@example.com. Whenever feasible, the written application will be supplemented by a personal interview. There are no upper or lower limits on the grants, but the higher the requested amount, the more it is hoped that the grantee will be obtaining a share of the project’s costs from an additional source. The application may be in any form, but should include at least the following information:
- Applicant’s Name
- How you heard of JJCF
Proposed Project (include: the nature and length of community service; organization involved [there must be a Section 501(c)(3) organization to receive the funds]; the amount of the grant that would be needed to enable the applicant to perform the community service; and any other pertinent information). The notion of “community service” should be understood in its broadest sense to include service that benefits any aspect of society, including both social and environmental aspects.
- Description of Community Service Involved (including perceived purpose and benefits of the proposed project).
- Expected Length of the Service.
- Grant Amount Requested ($).
- Other Possible Funding Sources Contacted and Status of Any Such Request.
- Desired or Possible Section 501(c)(3) Organization.
- Any Other Pertinent Information Regarding the Community Service.
- Educational Background.
- Work Experience.
- Any Other Information That JJCF Should Consider.
Additional Matters to Address:
- JJCF must distribute any grants to an IRS Section 501(c)(3) entity. It is the responsibility of the applicant to designate an appropriate Section 501(c)(3) entity and should do so as part of the application. Please confirm that you have checked with an authorized person (and provide that person’s name and email address) and that none of the requested grant amount will be used to pay a fee or defray any cost of any such organization or entity (including any bank transfer fee). In addition, your designated 501(c)(3) entity will be required to enroll in the EFT option at the Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund, and should state its willingness to do so if it has not already enrolled in the EFT program.
- Anyone receiving a grant will be required to submit various reports, including reports suitable for posting on the website either in document-form or web-form. As a result, the applicant should try to assure JJCF that he or she is prepared and able to provide articulate and insightful reports. In addition, the applicant should state a willingness to keep JJCF apprised of what he or she is doing after the grant project is complete with yearly updates.
- In making its disbursements to the designated Section 501(c)(3) entity, JJCF has a strong preference that those disbursements be made in accordance with a schedule where the final disbursement is not made until the project is complete and all the requirements have been met. JJCF will work with each grantee in an effort to find a mutually-agreeable schedule for the disbursements.
- Please advise whether or not the proposed project is intended to fulfill any academic requirement or otherwise will entitle the grantee to a course-credit of any kind. As a general matter, grants are not made where the proposed project is part of the grantee’s academic curriculum.
- Sometimes the circumstances are such that JJCF is in a position where it might be able to provide a portion of the grant amount requested, but not the entire amount. Assuming that were to be the case with respect to your application, please explain whether or not you would be able to proceed with your project with such a partial grant and, if so, how you would be able to do so.
- Please include in your application the date by which you likely would need a decision from us.